Breast enhancement surgery is a very popular, and extremely satisfying procedure for patients in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles. Breast augmentation is an extremely safe operation that yields excellent results when performed by a properly trained and board certified plastic surgeon. Unfortunately, many breast operations are performed poorly and by inadequately trained surgeons. This has led to a significant and increasing number of patients who seek out Dr. Brenner as an expert in breast implant & breast revision surgery.
In Dr. Brenner’s practice, there are many reasons that patients seek his opinion and experience to in order to have their breast implant revision surgery performed. These include:
- Breast Implant Malposition: The breast implants that were placed by the previous surgeon ended up settling in either too high, or too low. Some patients’ implants have even been placed too close together, a condition known as synmastia. Breast implants that end up too low on the chest wall (“bottoming out”) usually are the result of either the implant being too big and heavy, or the inframammary fold being obliterated during the primary operation. Inferior implant malposition usually requires placement of some type of mesh or graft material in order to re-establish the inframammary fold and support the breast implant long term.
- Breast Implant Rippling: Although a known potential side effect of breast implant surgery, breast implant rippling can be severe in some patients. This is oftentimes palpable to touch. When breast implant rippling is severe, it can even become visible to the eye. This is more common in saline implants, especially when they are placed above the pectoralis muscle.
- Capsular Contracture: An exaggerated reaction of the fibrous breast capsule, capsular contracture exists along a spectrum from mild to severe. The most severe contractures can distort the position of breast implants (they are commonly pushed too high) and can even become hard and painful.
- Discordant Implant Size: In these cases, the first surgeon failed to place the most optimal breast implant size or style into the breast. Breast implants are manufactured in two types (saline breast implants & silicone breast implants) and three commonly used profiles (moderate profile, moderate plus profile and high profile). Further, implant volumes vary vastly, from 150cc all the way up to 850cc. The correct implant should meet the patients desires, but more importantly should measure correctly against the patient’s breast and chest wall. Revision breast implant surgery for size, type and style changes is very common.
- Breast Implant Rupture: Breast implants are manufactured devices. They have a finite lifespan. Although implant manufacturers note that the average lifespan of a typical breast implant is 10-12 years, some implants will last much longer. Conversely, breast implant rupture rates average about 1% per implant, per year. So it is entirely possible for an implant to rupture prematurely (this most commonly occurs after a moderate to severe trauma, such as a motor vehicle collision).